Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Preparation for my 2 years dream --- Himalayan Trek

After quite a few attempts over my last two years I have decided to trek around the Himalaya ranges, to be specific in the Sarpass. Since yesterday my plans have become bit hopeful as I have also got a mate for the trek.

The trek is for 11 days which is organized by the Youth Hostels Association of India and I would require around 16 Days of leave from the office. The trek is in the high altitude and we will be reaching the peak of Sarpass which is at about 14000 Ft above the sea level located in the Parbati Valley in Himachal Pradesh.

My plans:

1) First of all I need to get the life time membership of YHAI (I am an annual member though.)
2) Once I get the membership for myself and my fellow trek mate I will have to book for the trek.
3) Most importantly I need to book for the travel modes (We will be travelling in almost all the modes of travel except water.)
4) Buy the warm clothes to withstand low temperature.
5) Last but not the least; I need to get the approval from my parents for the trek.

As far as I know I have the availability of only 30 people in the batch. So I will have to run to get the bookings done by next week or so.

Itinerary for the trek (If everything goes according to the plans):

1) 2 May 2010: Depart to Delhi by Air. And from Delhi to Kullu by road
2) 3 May 2010: Shopping at Kullu and report at Base camp in Kasol
3) 4 May 2010: A small wlak to Manikaran (The famous hot water springs) which is about 5 Kms from the base camp Kasol) –Ht 6500 Ft
4) 5 May 2010: Acclimatization and Orientation.
5) 6 May 2010: Rock Climbing and rappelling
6) 7 May 2010: By Bus Unch Dhaar and Trek to Youth Hostel Guna Paanivia Shila Village -Ht.8000 ft.
7) 8 May 2010: Trek to Youth Hostel Fual Paani -Ht.9500ft
8) 9 May 2010: Trek to Youth Hostel Zirmi -Ht.11000 ft
9) 10 May 2010: Trek to Youth Hostel Tila Lotni -Ht.12500 ft
10) 11 May 2010: Trek to Youth Hostel Biskeri Thatch –Ht 11000ft. via Sar Pass (13800 ft).
11) 12 May 2010: Trek to Youth Hostel Bhandak Thatch -Ht.8000ft
12) 13 May 2010: Trek up to Barshani Road head and transfer by bus to Manikaran and trek to Base Camp Kasol.
13) 14 May 2010: Drive back to Delhi by bus.
14) 15 May 2010: Catch Rajdhani train back to the IT City Bengaluru on 17 May 2010

As of now I hope everything goes as per my plan and Its time to achieve my dream of last two years. Just read and wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Srik said...

Thanks for reading my Sarpass diary. We have experienced the worst of Sarpass and Himalayas during our trek ending with tragic incidents. So all i can suggest to you and your friend is to take enough warm clothes and keep yourself warm all the time. Get acclimatized at the base camp well. And all you need to ensure in the end is to maintain the salt content in your body. This helps when you are at the peak. Keep drinking salt water.

I assure you, the camp will be just Fun. YHAI folks and guides are just awesome. All the best!

Unknown said...

ths 1 seems 2 be vry intrstng n adventurous.. Good luck...!!

Srik said...

Hello there,

Yes. We had booked the tickets from Delhi to Kullu and back, much before we reached Delhi. We went onto the Himachal Road Transportation website and booked the tickets. http://www.hrtc.gov.in/hrtctickets/